We are seeking to hire an Associate Interior Designer to add to our growing team! We are looking for someone who thrives in a role with a high level of autonomy. If you consider yourself a fearless, proactive, type-A person who gets delirious from out-of-the box thinking… If you feel like you can design something that starts a trend on Pinterest instead of copying a trend… believe that to do something you have to do it well, not merely “good enough”- then this is the role for you!
We are a startup design firm who have outgrown our bootstrap startup phase, and we need another designer on board as we are expanding at an extreme pace. This is a chance to get in on the ground level of a rapidly growing interior design studio. It’s not for the faint of heart as we have a lot of projects and we don’t like to do anything basic. With every project, we try to do something different and special while fulfilling the clients’ needs and wants. We strive to create spaces optimized for the clients’ way of life, but also push the designs of the spaces outside of the clients’ comfort zones. Studio Skara wants a badass with a strong creative voice. Someone with a design background and technical skills, but can confidently and diplomatically deal with clients and contractors alike. Currently we have 8-10 projects going simultaneously, but we hope to effortlessly be able to do 12-15 with another designer on board.
Key requirements are:
• A minimum of 18 months experience at a design firm.
• High level of proficiency in AutoCad, Adobe Photoshop, Sketchup, and Google Suite.
• Superb product knowledge for materials, furnishings, lighting, fabrics, and finishes.
• Experience working on high-end renovations.
• Knowledge of building codes.
• Valid driver's license and reliable vehicle.
• Resides in Los Angeles (this is not a remote position).
Core duties and responsibilities include:
• Autonomously manage design projects
• Work as a team on larger projects, as well as run point on some projects.
• Site inspection, measurements, and creation of plans.
• Create full design concepts and draft relevant plans.
• Design custom furniture.Prepare client presentations.
• Help deliver client presentations and proactively take the lead addressing client feedback and preparing revised design concepts.
• Source materials, furniture and fittings, and prepare budgets.
• Liaise between clients, contractors and vendors.
• Inspect vendor work, manage change orders and fixes.
• Develop and maintain client relationships together with the Principal Designer.
• Ensure all client work is to the highest standard, exceeding client expectations.
We are looking for someone who is:
• Detail oriented. (This is a non-negotiable.)
• Tech-savvy, a quick learner with new software.
• Passionate, authentic and driven.
• Creative, innovative and self-motivated.
• Flexible and embraces change.
• Excellent with verbal and written communication.
• A positive person.
• Type-A and thrives under pressure and deadlines.
• A natural problem-solver.
• A compulsive learner, hungry to expand their knowledge.
• Eligible to legally work in the US.
About the company:
Studio Skara is a Los Angeles based design firm founded in 2019. We specialize in creating unique spaces that are bold and expressive yet comfortable and inviting. We believe that form needs to follow function and that great design should always be optimized for function without sacrificing yumminess.
We are excited to hear from you. We truly believe Studio Skara offers a fantastic opportunity to gain experience across all aspects of the design process, and to help build something special. As such, we offer a favorable salary, a hybrid work-from-home/ office model, and flexible work hours. We look forward to hearing from you!
Please send cover letter, resume and portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: JOB APPLICATION / ASSOCIATE DESIGNER
Please do not call to follow up, we will reach out to interview if we feel you would be a fit!